The holidays are usually a time for joyfully celebrating with family and friends, but when you are in the middle of a divorce, celebrating is probably one of the last things on your mind. With Thanksgiving coming up next week, we’d like to take the time to address the topic of divorce during the holidays. A difficult time for many people, there are still plenty of ways for you to enjoy the holidays – you just need to remember that divorce isn’t the end, but a new beginning.
Although you may feel anything but merry, consider this list of tips to help you enjoy the holiday season during this time of transition.
- Be patient. The holidays can be hectic during the best of times, but a first holiday on your own can be downright overwhelming. With so much going on in your life, it is important to remember to be patient with your family, your kids, and yourself. Don’t exhaust yourself trying to live up to past holidays – relax and take things as they come.
- Make new family traditions. The family traditions that you enjoyed as a married person may vastly differ from the ones you will cultivate and enjoy as a single person. That’s okay! Enjoy the process of making new traditions and making the holiday your own.
- Be cooperative. If you have children, strive to cooperate with your spouse for your kids’ sake. Try to come up with a compromise so that you can all make the most of the season. Your childrens’ holiday experience should be a top priority, so try not to fight over things that you could work out amicably.
- Spend time with others. Even though you might be tempted to spend the holidays on your own, don’t! Make an effort to spend some time with family and friends. While some alone time may be beneficial, be sure to carve out some time with those you love.
- Take it one holiday at a time. Navigating the holidays can be difficult during the transition from married life to single life, but it’s not impossible! Remember to slow down and take things one holiday at a time to avoid becoming overwhelmed.
If you are thinking about filing for divorce in New York, the New York divorce attorneys at Eiges & Orgel, PLLC are available to help. We have successfully resolved thousands of divorce cases, helping couples forge new paths into a brighter and more positive future. We believe that a successful divorce begins with the right expectations, which is why we will ensure that you are set up to meet your goals.
Contact us today to speak with an attorney.