Helping New York Families for Over 60 Collective Years
Exceptional Solutions for You & Your Loved Ones
Thinking of Getting a Divorce in New York?
Our New York Divorce Lawyers Can Help You Through the Process
The decision to end a marriage is never an easy one. If you have made this difficult decision, then you will need the skillful and experienced legal services of an attorney.
Eiges & Orgel, PLLC has been effectively assisting clients with the legal termination of their marriages for more than four decades. In fact, we have done so successfully in more than 3,000 cases.
Compassionate & Capable Attorneys in New York
Divorce has become relatively commonplace in today's society. However, there are many legal professionals out there that do not live up to the standards of professionalism that are expected when handling matters of this nature.
Additionally, many others do not take into consideration the emotional stages that are involved in the process. Make sure you receive the compassionate and capable divorce representation you need for your family law case. Turn to Eiges & Orgel, PLLC.
Reasons You Need a Lawyer for Divorce
If you are considering a divorce, you may be wondering if it is worth it to hire an attorney or if you can just handle the divorce yourself. Whether you are dealing with an uncontested or contested divorce, it is always a good idea to hire an attorney in order to protect your best interests. Here are a few reasons:
- Expert advice - An experienced attorney who has handled hundreds or even thousands of divorce cases has the legal knowledge necessary to guide you through the process in an efficient and timely manner. An attorney can ensure that you abide by the law, which can reduce your chances of unnecessary delays and costs.
- Avoiding errors - Divorce is a highly stressful and emotional time, and it can be easy to make a mistake when you are not thinking clearly. On your own, you could unwittingly make errors that jeopardize the favorable outcome you are seeking and could cost you the settlement you are entitled to. Even a small error could delay the divorce process and cost you more money in legal and court fees. Avoid this risk with the help of an experienced lawyer.
- Reducing stress - Divorce is already difficult enough without having to worry about mountains of paperwork or representing yourself in court. A good attorney will take this burden on for you so that you can focus on what is most important to you.
While the decision to hire a lawyer is entirely up to you, we strongly advise that you not attempt to handle your divorce on your own. At Eiges & Orgel, PLLC, we have handled more than 3,000 divorce cases. Rely on our firm to help you through this difficult process.
How Do I Choose the Right New York Divorce Lawyer?
Who you choose to handle your divorce case is of the utmost importance. First, you should consider the amount of cases your potential attorney has handled and whether or not they have had success with a majority.
Several factors will need to be determined as you file for divorce, including:
These are matters of high importance that deserve nothing less than the best legal representation available. Therefore, we urge you to choose wisely. The lawyer you select to represent you could have a great impact on the outcome of your case.
How Our Experienced Divorce Attorneys Can Assist You
At Eiges & Orgel, PLLC, our lawyers handle all matters of divorce. Whether your divorce is contested or uncontested, our attorneys can help you through all aspects of the process. All you have to do is give us a call to get started.
How can we help you? At Eiges & Orgel, PLLC, we can assist you with:
- Legal separations
- Collaborative divorce
- Contested divorce
- Military divorce
- Flat-fee divorce
- Uncontested divorce
- Settlement agreements
- High net worth divorce
- Same-sex divorce
The Divorce Process in New York
The divorce process can be confusing, and it is important that you understand the various repercussions of divorce in NY.
- The first thing you will do is to file a summons with notice for an action for divorce with the defendant. If you are the filing spouse, then you are the plaintiff, and the other spouse is the defendant.
- The defendant must be personally served with this notice, and it is highly recommended that your attorney handle the service. In the state of New York, once the divorce process has legally commenced, there are automatic restraining orders placed upon the plaintiff immediately, as well as on the defendant as soon as they are served.
- After the complaint is filed, the defendant will need to respond with an answer. A preliminary conference will then be scheduled, and a discovery schedule will be set at this time in order to exchange the following information:
- Appraisal of business or professional license
- Appraisal of pensions
- Appraisal of real estate
- Appraisal of any other assets
- Notice for discovery
- Statement of net worth
- The discovery process is concluded with a compliance conference where the court will ensure that both parties have the necessary information to go to trial. If both parties are prepared, then the plaintiff will file a certificate of readiness, and a trial date will be set.
- On the day of the trial, the plaintiff will have the opportunity to testify, examine witnesses, provide documentary evidence, and others in support of their position. The defense will also have the opportunity to cross-examine witnesses. Next, the defendant will have these same opportunities to argue in favor of their case. At the conclusion of the trial, the court will issue a decision either in writing or on the record which will address all of the issues brought forth in the complaint and for the divorce.
- Finally, the judgment of divorce must be prepared by the lawyers and signed by both parties before they are legally divorced.
How Much Does a Divorce Cost in New York?
Divorces can vary in cost and often depend on the following:
- Whether or not children are involved
- The age of each spouse
Thankfully, at our firm, clients can choose between a flat-fee divorce and hourly billing. We do so to provide our clients with flexibility so they can obtain top-tier results at a great price. We believe our clients deserve to pursue happiness, and that is why we do our best to help facilitate that.
Can You Get a Divorce Without Trial in New York?
It should be noted that divorce judgements are judicial decrees issued by New York's Supreme Court Judges. Divorce cannot occur without filing a legal proceeding in a Supreme Court in the county where the parties reside. However, the parties are always encouraged to seek assistance from lawyers and other professionals in order to resolve their differences, rather than the intense emotional conflict of an adversarial proceeding in a courtroom prior to a judge's finding and judgment.
Ultimately, the parties must decide whether the dissolution of their marriage should be heatedly contested in an open courtroom or privately resolved after good faith negotiations.
Choosing a NYC divorce lawyer is an investment in your future. You need an attorney that knows and understands the intricacies of the law. The divorce attorneys of Eiges & Orgel, PLLC have the experience you need to protect your interests.
Eiges & Orgel, PLLC is comprised of skilled professionals with over 60 years of collective experience. We pride ourselves on being able to adapt our services to meet the individual needs of our clients. Therefore, we act with compassion in the mediation of an uncontested divorce and with aggression when a contested divorce case calls for it.
Whether you are looking to settle out of court or you need a legal professional to represent your case before a judge, Eiges & Orgel, PLLC will be there to stand by your side. Our firm understands that the process of ending a marriage is not an easy one. We have taken great care to provide high-quality representation to those who need it most, no matter what the circumstances of their case may be.
Our firm will be there for you every step of the way, from the most complicated to the most standard family law matter. For all of your divorce and family law matters, you can confidently turn to an associate at our firm to help guide you through the legal process.
What Makes Us the Right Choice
AVVO Ranked Superb & "Clients' Choice" Winner
AV® Rated by Martindale- Hubbell®
Resolved Over 3,000 Divorce Cases
Two Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers
“I am extremely satisfied with the representation Eiges & Orgel provided me in my divorce case.” - Valeria
“Mr. Orgel got me custody of our daughter, more money than I expected and more of the house that I expected.” - James
“They worked extremely hard and took extra steps to fight for me.” - Parrish