Helping New York Families for Over 60 Collective Years

Exceptional Solutions for You & Your Loved Ones

New York Alimony Modification Lawyer

Making a Change to Your Spousal Support Agreement

At Eiges & Orgel, PLLC, we know how to effectively handle cases related to pursuing spousal maintenance, also referred to as spousal support or alimony, in addition to helping individuals seek a change or modification in their spousal support agreement. Modifying an alimony agreement is often a complex measure, as it usually involves a modification of alimony lawyer to prove that a person is in financial need or possibly that they are no longer in need of these payments.

Some of most common reasons to request an alimony modification include:

  • The paying spouse has lost their job
  • The paying spouse has experienced a pay cut
  • The paying spouse has experienced a sudden illness
  • The receiving spouse is cohabitating with a new partner
  • The receiving spouse has become self-supporting
  • The receiving spouse has gotten remarried

When Can an Alimony Agreement Be Modified in New York?

In the state of New York, alimony payments can only be modified when 1) a substantial change in circumstances has taken place, 2) at least three years have passed since the spousal support order was entered or last modified, or 3) there has been at least a 15% change in either spouse’s income. However, modifications are not automatic. The spouse seeking a modification would still need to petition the court requesting an official change to their alimony agreement.

Impact of Cohabitation and Remarriage on Alimony

In most cases, alimony payments will be terminated if the receiving spouse gets remarried. The only exception to this rule is if the divorce order requires alimony to continue after remarriage. If no such provision is included, however, alimony will automatically terminate. Similarly, true cohabitation—meaning that two partners are now living together and acting as married couples do, rather than occasionally spending the night—can also spell the end of alimony payments.

Contact Eiges & Orgel, PLLC for Help with Your Modification


Choosing a NYC divorce lawyer is an investment in your future. You need an attorney that knows and understands the intricacies of the law. The divorce attorneys of Eiges & Orgel, PLLC have the experience you need to protect your interests.

When you choose to work with our firm to modify your alimony or maintenance agreement, you may also consider your options for modifying child custody or child support agreements as well. In some cases, adjustments can be made in this area to benefit other areas of the divorce agreement and vice versa. Our law firm has over 60 years of experience in family law, that can be extremely beneficial to your case. We are not afraid of a fight or willing to back down in the face of adversity.

Contact a New York modification of alimony attorney at Eiges & Orgel, PLLC right away so that we can review your case.

What Makes Us the Right Choice

  • AVVO Ranked Superb & "Clients' Choice" Winner
  • AV® Rated by Martindale- Hubbell®
  • Resolved Over 3,000 Divorce Cases
  • Two Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers

Work Directly With an Attorney, Not a Staff Member

From Beginning to End, You Will Work With Your Lawyer

  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo Clients' Choice
  • AV Rated
  • Avvo 10.0 Superb Rating
  • NAFLA Top Ten Ranking 2017
  • BBB Accredited Business
  • Expertise 2020
    • “The BEST attorney any client would hope for.” - Raymond
    • “Mr. Orgel got me custody of our daughter, more money than I expected and more of the house that I expected.” - James
    • “Excellent Advice” - Tina.

      You Want Us On Your Side

      Experience Is Critical. We've Handled Thousands of Cases Over the Years and We're Ready to Help You. Call Now for a Comprehensive Consultation

      • Please enter your first name.
      • Please enter your last name.
      • Please enter your phone number.
        This isn't a valid phone number.
      • Please enter your email address.
        This isn't a valid email address.
      • Please make a selection.
      • Please enter a message.