Helping New York Families for Over 60 Collective Years
Exceptional Solutions for You & Your Loved Ones
New York Spousal Support & Maintenance Attorney
Spousal Support Lawyer Helping Clients Navigate Alimony in New York
When a marriage ends and divorce is the chosen path, it becomes necessary to seek knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation in order for each party leaving the union to start rebuilding their lives.
Spousal support, also known as spousal maintenance or alimony, is one of the most difficult elements to assess when finalizing a divorce. It is the monetary payment from one spouse to the other. (This is different from a palimony agreement.) These payments help to ensure that both parties are able to maintain a lifestyle that is similar to the one they had while married.
Aggressive, Experienced New York Spousal Support Lawyers
Whether you are seeking alimony or being asked to pay it, the New York spousal support attorneys at Eiges & Orgel, PLLC can press forward for your interests to pursue the financial resolution you want.
Our reputation for being aggressive and not willing to back down makes us extremely effective during negotiations and in court. With over 60 years of collective experience, our New York spousal support attorneys also know that the best strategy to overcome this trying time is to closely work with your spouse's attorney to facilitate the process and fight for a fair resolution. Our experienced New York spousal support lawyers are proud to serve the people of Queens County, New York and will be happy to fight for your best interest.
When Would Alimony Be Awarded in a Divorce?
Spousal support is not intended to punish one spouse, nor is it intended to reward the other. The court may decide to award alimony payments if they believe that one party would be at a disadvantage without it.
It is not uncommon for one spouse to contribute to the marriage in non-financial ways (i.e. taking care of the home and/or raising the children), and the court recognizes this. Through an assessment of a couple’s unique situation, the court will decide on an appropriate duration and amount of spousal maintenance.
How the Duration & Amount of Spousal Support Is Decided
The court will look at several factors when considering awarding alimony in New York:
- Source of income and occupations of both parties
- Age, mental and physical health of each party
- Behavior and conduct of each party during the marriage
- Duration of the union
- Care for the children resulting from that union
- Debts and assets acquired during the marriage
- Future income of both parties
With any further questions, be sure to consult with an experienced New York spousal support attorney.
Types of Spousal Support in New York
In New York, there are four types of alimony:
- Temporary maintenance: Also referred to as “pendente lite” maintenance, the spouse with the higher salary will pay this to the spouse with the lower salary until the divorce is finalized. It is meant to act as immediate but temporary financial aid.
- Permanent alimony: This type of support entails giving payment to one's former spouse for an indefinite period of time, or until financial changes arise. Its purpose is to provide financial support for basic needs, such as housing and food.
- Rehabilitative alimony: A temporary form of monetary support given until the spouse in need regains financial stability. This would help that spouse support themselves while getting an education or starting a new career.
- Restitution alimony: A temporary form of repayment for having given financial support to one spouse for the duration of their vocational education and training. Whether it is a contested or uncontested divorce is a key point of concern. It will determine the financial lifestyle for both parties.
Does NYC Child Support Automatically End?
In the state of New York, child support is mandatory until the age of 21.
However, if the child happens to be younger than 21, the court will examine whether they are married, in the military, or self-supporting. If they are, the court will consider them to be emancipated, thus ending the parent's obligation to pay.
Choosing a NYC divorce lawyer is an investment in your future. You need an attorney that knows and understands the intricacies of the law. The divorce attorneys of Eiges & Orgel, PLLC have the experience you need to protect your interests.
In some cases, fighting for spousal support can be an emotionally draining and complicated process. The support of a skilled legal team is the only way for you to protect your financial security.
Eiges & Orgel, PLLC will not only guide and advise you during this difficult time, but also take the time to understand your desires and goals so that we can fight for what you want. Our New York spousal support attorneys' strong understanding and long-time experience in all matters of family law give us the ability to assess every factor of the marriage that deserves consideration.
Contact a New York City spousal support lawyer online if you are going through a divorce and need to protect your rights and interests regarding spousal support. We offer an inexpensive, comprehensive case evaluation. Give us a call today.
What Makes Us the Right Choice
AVVO Ranked Superb & "Clients' Choice" Winner
AV® Rated by Martindale- Hubbell®
Resolved Over 3,000 Divorce Cases
Two Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers
“Mr. Eiges was very attentive and responsive.” - A. Licari
“Scott and Andrew were on my case and were very supportive and understanding with everything.” - Alex
“Eiges and Orgel are diligent, caring, and effective. This is the firm you want.” - Amanda