New York Divorce & Family Lawyers
Call for a Comprehensive Consultation 347.848.1850
Exceptional Solutions for You & Your Loved Ones Helping New York Families for Over 60 Collective Years

Restraining Order Protection in New York

Our New York City Domestic Violence Lawyers are Protect You

Domestic AbuseIn New York, orders of protection are often referred to as restraining orders. These are court issued legal injunctions that require an individual, commonly a family member, to refrain from certain acts. In most cases, these are issued to prevent two or more persons from engaging in violent or deprave acts for a certain amount of time, which is why they are common in many complex divorce and family law cases.

While local and state laws can differ, such orders are typically issued pursuant to a form of abuse involving family members or other persons within a household. Restraining orders, or orders of protection, may require a person to:

  • Pay child support
  • Remain distant from a person and their children
  • Move out of their home
  • Abide by custody orders
  • Refrain from owning firearms

If you feel threatened by an ex-spouse or any other family member, it may be time to obtain an order of protection to safeguard yourself and your children. Call our New York City domestic violence attorneys at Eiges & Orgel, PLLC right away.

How Does a New York Restraining Order Work?

A person who has become subject to abuse or intimidation by a family or household member can petition to their county court to obtain an order of protection. Commonly, a petitioner will see a restraining order from the criminal justice system and the civil justice system in their area.

If the court agrees that the grounds for requesting a restraining order are valid, the court will examine the details of the situation and craft an order that best fits the unique circumstances of the petitioner. Typically, a New York restraining order is finalized in conjunction with a criminal charge and, although it is sent to a family law court, the offender may be held accountable for criminal charges.

In most cases, the restraining order will require the accused person to stay a specified distance away from the person’s place of work and home. Violations of these protection orders are often severe. In New York, violation of a restraining order can result in a misdemeanor or, in the worst cases, a felony. If you have already obtained a restraining order against a person and that person has violated the protection order, contact the police immediately.

When the police are called on a report of domestic violence, they will normally issue a temporary protection order to prevent contact and further abuse. This will last until the court hearing, where the respondent (the person subject to the order) has an opportunity to challenge the case. You will also have a right to request that the judge issue a final order of protection, which could last for up to five years.

When such an order has been made, the abuser may be ordered to:

  • Leave your home, even if their name is on the lease
  • Stay away from you and members of your household
  • Stay away from your workplace and your child’s school
  • Stop calling, writing or emailing you and your children
  • Give up all of their guns, even if they are registered
  • Attend a batterer’s program and/or counseling

You will also likely be awarded child custody, and you can request that any visitation be supervised. You will also probably receive temporary child support. If you need help securing an order of protection against your abusive spouse, it is highly recommended that you retain counsel from a lawyer at Eiges & Orgel, PLLC.

Can I file a restraining order against someone other than my spouse?

In New York, you can obtain a family court order of protection against anyone with whom you have, or have had, an intimate or domestic relationship.

Victim of Domestic AbuseThis means that you can seek protection against:

  • Your current or former spouse
  • Someone with whom you have a child
  • Your current or former boyfriend / girlfriend
  • Someone with whom you have an “intimate relationship”
  • Family members related by blood or marriage

Family court orders of protection differ from those issued in criminal proceedings, as criminal orders of protection can only be issued as a condition of a person’s release and/or bail.

Should I Get a Restraining Order Against My Spouse or Family Member?

This type of injunction carries the force of law, which can make obtaining a restraining order difficult. For this reason, only individuals who truly live in fear of a household or family member should obtain an order of protection. It is also crucial to note that such an injunction does not guarantee protection.

Because each situation is unique and carries a variety of different circumstances, individuals considering getting a restraining order in New York should contact an experienced New York domestic violence lawyer right away. Our team at Eiges & Orgel, PLLC is highly experienced in handling such cases and can work diligently to protect you and your family.

How Domestic Violence Could Affect Your Divorce

If you have sought protection against your current spouse for reasons of domestic violence or abuse, the court may take this into consideration during subsequent divorce proceedings. Whether you or your child was the target of your spouse’s abuse, it is likely that the family court will rule in your favor when it comes to deciding the matter of child custody. The judge may still grant the other parent limited visitation rights, but a skilled child custody attorney from Eiges & Orgel, PLLC can fight to ensure that these visits are supervised.

Don’t Wait to Act – Contact Eiges & Orgel, PLLC Immediately

You don't have to wait until the police are called in to receive a protection order. An attorney from our firm can also help you file a petition in court if you believe that you need to sever contact with your former spouse. At Eiges & Orgel, PLLC, we understand how stressful it can be to live as the victim of harassment and domestic violence. One of our lawyers will work closely with you throughout the case, giving you the understanding and compassionate guidance that you need during this difficult time.

Contact a lawyer at our firm if you need to get a restraining order. We will start your case with a comprehensive case evaluation.

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • “The BEST attorney any client would hope for.”


  • “He took the extra step to make sure I was satisfied.”

    S. Powell

  • “Scott and his staff are excellent!”

    Former Client

  • “If all divorce attorneys had the spirit of Kenneth "Ken" Eiges, cases would not drag on.”


  • “Ken is just amazing to work with and knows everyone in family court.”


  • “The tremendous impact Scott and his team had on my life is something I will always be grateful for.”

    Former Client

  • “I am happy that I retained Attorney Eiges to work on my divorce that was finally settled last month.”


  • “Mr. Orgel got me custody of our daughter, more money than I expected and more of the house that I expected.”


  • “They worked extremely hard and took extra steps to fight for me.”


  • “Mr. Orgel is an outstanding attorney.”

    Former Client

  • “Ken is an exceptional negotiator as well as a trial attorney.”


  • “Compassion, professionalism, integrity and expert guidance are just some words that came to my mind when mentioning Eiges & Orgel PLLC.”

    Former Client

  • “Thanks to Ken I was able to keep my home, my business and make sure my children would be taken care of through college.”

    Former Client

  • “Thankfully I met Mr. Eiges and from that moment on everything was handled better than I could have imagined.”


  • “I received my settlement and separation agreement in 30 days after I filed for divorce!”

    E. Temple

You Want Us On Your Side

Experience is Critical. We've Handled Thousands of Cases Over the Years and We're Ready to Help You. 
Call now for a Comprehensive Consultation.
  1. More Than 60 Years of Collective Experience
  2. Two Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers
  3. Resolved Over 3,000 Divorce Cases
  4. AV® Rated by Martindale- Hubbell®
  5. AVVO Ranked Superb & "Clients' Choice" Winner
  6. Media Appearances On CNN & People
  7. Appointments In-Office, Over the Phone, & Via Skype
Request to Speak With an Attorney
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter your availability.
  • Please enter a message.