Exceptional Solutions for You & Your Loved Ones Helping New York Families for Over 60 Collective Years

Modifying Child Support in New York

Helping You Update Your Child Support Agreement

At Eiges & Orgel, PLLC, we know that you and your family have been through a difficult time with the divorce, child custody battle, and all other legal issues that you are currently dealing with or trying to put into the past. Unfortunately, it is true that issues arise that make it necessary to take a second look at the settlement agreements that were once determined by either you and your spouse during mediation or collaborative divorce, or in a family court room.

These issues may involve anything from substance abuse and addiction to the loss of a job to a serious and sudden illness, and will all require the legal assistance of a New York modification of child support attorney. Our firm can help you pursue a modification of child support if you are currently being paid support by your ex-spouse and require a different amount. We can also guide the party who pays child support through the process of reducing or eliminating the payment, if necessary.

Do you have questions about modifying your child support order? Contact Eiges & Orgel, PLLC for answers.

When Can a Child Support Order Be Modified in New York?

In New York, either parent can petition the court for a modification of child support. However, in doing so they must be able to show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances, three years have passed since the order was issued, or there has been a 15% increase or decrease in either parent’s income since the original order was issued.

  • Substantial change in circumstances: A “substantial change in circumstances” could mean many things. For example, the child support amount may need to be modified because the paying parent has lost their job, the child has fallen ill – resulting in increased medical bills – or the paying parent is now earning significantly more money.
  • Three years have passed: If it has been at least three years since the original child support order was issued, either parent could petition the court for a modification. In doing so, they would be requesting that the amount be recalculated based on changes to either parent’s income—be it an upward or downward modification.
  • Change in income by at least 15%: If the paying parent’s income has decreased by at least 15%, he or she can petition the court for a downward modification of child support. Oppositely, if the paying parent’s income has increased by at least 15%, the receiving parent could petition the court for an upward modification of child support.

Have Questions? Contact Eiges & Orgel, PLLC for Answers.

There are many laws regarding child support in New York, many of which dictate how the payments must be made, when, and for what reasons they may be stopped. With over 60 years of combined legal experience and vast knowledge of state laws, our firm is ready to take on virtually any type of family law, divorce, or child support related case. Our attorneys know that very few things are more emotionally upsetting and difficult than those related to divorce and post-divorce matters, which is why we have dedicated our professional careers to making sure that we can help you right away.

To learn more about modifying your child support agreement, contact our New York modification of child support attorneys.

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • “Thankfully I met Mr. Eiges and from that moment on everything was handled better than I could have imagined.”


  • “I am very happy that I chose Mr. Ken Eiges.”

    S. Greenberg

  • “I am so grateful to Eiges & Eiges for taking my case & doing a par excellent job.”


  • “Mr. Eiges will help you finish the case as fast as possible and will try his best to stay with in budget.”


  • “My advise to anyone in a desperate situation, call this lawyer as soon as you can. You will be very glad you did.”

    Former Client

  • “Ken is just amazing to work with and knows everyone in family court.”


  • “Thanks to Ken I was able to keep my home, my business and make sure my children would be taken care of through college.”

    Former Client

  • “Scott and Andrew were on my case and were very supportive and understanding with everything.”


  • “Mr. Eiges is very a patient and a very knowledgeable attorney.”


  • “Mr. Orgel got me custody of our daughter, more money than I expected and more of the house that I expected.”


  • “Ken is an exceptional negotiator as well as a trial attorney.”


  • “Excellent Advice”


  • “If all divorce attorneys had the spirit of Kenneth "Ken" Eiges, cases would not drag on.”


  • “He took the extra step to make sure I was satisfied.”

    S. Powell

  • “I received my settlement and separation agreement in 30 days after I filed for divorce!”

    E. Temple

You Want Us On Your Side

Experience is Critical. We've Handled Thousands of Cases Over the Years and We're Ready to Help You. 
Call now for a Comprehensive Consultation.
  1. More Than 60 Years of Collective Experience
  2. Two Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers
  3. Resolved Over 3,000 Divorce Cases
  4. AV® Rated by Martindale- Hubbell®
  5. AVVO Ranked Superb & "Clients' Choice" Winner
  6. Media Appearances On CNN & People
  7. Appointments In-Office, Over the Phone, & Via Skype
Request to Speak With an Attorney
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter your availability.
  • Please enter a message.