Helping New York Families for Over 60 Collective Years

Exceptional Solutions for You & Your Loved Ones

Enforcing Child Support in NYC

What Happens if You Don't Pay Child Support in New York?

If your ex-spouse is failing to fulfill his or her legal obligations regarding child support, or if you have been accused of this yourself, then you should talk to a lawyer at Eiges & Orgel, PLLC right away.

Failure to pay child support as ordered by the court can result in:

  • Wage garnishments
  • Property liens
  • Revocation of your driver's license
  • Being held in contempt of court
  • Possible jail time

It can also impact one’s credit history and cause financial and legal complications well into the future.

How to Enforce Child Support in New York City

If you are not receiving the support you should be receiving, then we can help you take steps to protect your rights and those of your child. We can also help if you have been falsely accused of failing to meet your obligations or are having trouble doing so.

Child support obligations cannot be discharged through unemployment or bankruptcy, nor voluntarily waived by the recipient. Under certain circumstances, however, you can request to modify your child support payments so that they are more in line with your ability to pay.

Do you need help with a child support enforcement case in New York? Contact Eiges & Orgel, PLLC today for a comprehensive case evaluation. 

How to Collect Overdue Child Support in New York

Are you owed child support by your former spouse or the other parent of your child? If so, then it is important to understand that you have options.

In the state of New York, you can choose to enforce a child support order in one of two ways: through the New York Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE) or by way of a court order. When you work with the DCSE, they may be able to help you collect on overdue child support by garnishing the other parent’s wages or seizing money from their bank account. However, the DCSE will not assign a lawyer to your case. This means that the case will not be handled in court.

In most cases, a family court judge will have greater means to enforce a child support order and can even punish the non-compliant parent in ways that the DCSE simply cannot.

By hiring a knowledgeable attorney from Eiges & Orgel, PLLC, you can fight to enforce the terms of your child support agreement in court. When you work with our firm, we will file all necessary paperwork on your behalf and vocalize your concerns at your hearing. We will then ask the judge to enforce the terms of your court order so that you and your children can begin to receive the level of financial support that you rightfully deserve.

The Judge Can Enforce a Child Support Order By:

  • Garnishing the non-paying parent’s wages or income
  • Seizing the non-paying parent’s personal property
  • Placing a lien on the non-paying parent’s business or home
  • Ordering the revocation of the non-paying parent’s license
  • Intercepting the non-paying parent’s tax refunds
  • Placing the non-paying parent in contempt of court

If I Lost My Job, Do I Still Have to Pay Child Support?

You could face legal action if you fail to meet your child support obligations, even if you no longer have the financial means to pay support. For this reason, it is highly recommended that you discuss your case with an experienced attorney at our firm before it gets to this point.

We can help you seek a modification from the court. In doing so, we could request to have your child support payments reduced so that they are more in line with your current ability to pay support. Call now to learn more about your options.


Choosing a NYC divorce lawyer is an investment in your future. You need an attorney that knows and understands the intricacies of the law. The divorce attorneys of Eiges & Orgel, PLLC have the experience you need to protect your interests.

In addressing child support issues, the attorneys at Eiges & Orgel, PLLC endeavor to keep the proceedings focused on the best interests of the child. Child support is not intended to punish or reward one parent; rather, the most important factor is ensuring that payments are in place so that the child can receive the care he or she deserves.

With over 60 years of collective legal experience, we have extensive experience in addressing all manner of conflicts between ex-spouses. Our personal approach means we will consult with you directly to determine the most suitable approach for your personal circumstances and needs.

Do you need help with child support enforcement? Contact our lawyers today!

What Makes Us the Right Choice

  • AVVO Ranked Superb & "Clients' Choice" Winner
  • AV® Rated by Martindale- Hubbell®
  • Resolved Over 3,000 Divorce Cases
  • Two Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers

Work Directly With an Attorney, Not a Staff Member

From Beginning to End, You Will Work With Your Lawyer

  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo Clients' Choice
  • AV Rated
  • Avvo 10.0 Superb Rating
  • NAFLA Top Ten Ranking 2017
  • BBB Accredited Business
  • Expertise 2020
    • “He took the extra step to make sure I was satisfied.” - S. Powell
    • “I have been very happy with their services.” - Steve
    • “Thanks to Ken I was able to keep my home, my business and make sure my children would be taken care of through college.” - Former Client

      You Want Us On Your Side

      Experience Is Critical. We've Handled Thousands of Cases Over the Years and We're Ready to Help You. Call Now for a Comprehensive Consultation

      • Please enter your first name.
      • Please enter your last name.
      • Please enter your phone number.
        This isn't a valid phone number.
      • Please enter your email address.
        This isn't a valid email address.
      • Please make a selection.
      • Please enter a message.