Getting married is a serious matter, and getting divorced even more so. Divorce can be a painful and long, drawn-out process which may drain you emotionally, mentally, and financially. No one excitedly jumps to the idea of a divorce at the drop of a hat, but sometimes, people are so caught up in their frustrations or anger, they hastily decide to end the relationship before truly considering how deeply this can change you, your family, and your life.
At Eiges and Orgel, PLLC, we are a team of divorce and family law attorneys who have seen the best and worst divorce has to offer, and we know it can be a long journey that some people may express regret in. In severe cases such as abuse, infidelity, or other major setbacks in a relationship, divorce very well may be the answer to a happier and safer life. However, in certain situations, it may do well to consider a few options before signing those papers just yet.
According to a New York Times article by Eric V. Copage, here are 11 questions to consider before officially heading towards divorce:
- Have you communicated your concerns clearly enough for your partner to understand?
- Do you and your spouse have shared expectations about the roles you play in the relationship?
- What would be the way to save the marriage, if there is one?
- Would you really be happier without your spouse?
- Do you still love him or her?
- What is your biggest fear in ending the relationship?
- Are you letting the prospect of divorce ruin your self-image?
- How can divorce be handled to minimize the harm on children?
- Are you prepared for the financial stress divorce may bring?
- Am I ready to handle the day-to-day details my spouse took care of?
- How do I not make the same mistake next time?
Contact Us for Family Law Attorneys
Though we are a team of experienced and knowledgeable divorce lawyers, we at Eiges and Orgel want to see love and marriage win. This is why we encourage people try all options before ending a marriage. However, if you have tried it all or are in a volatile relationship and would no longer like to be a part of it, look no further for divorce lawyers you can wholeheartedly trust to help you through this difficult time. We will be there for you every step of the way as we guide you through the divorce process. While it won’t be easy, our divorce lawyers at Eiges and Orgel, PLLC, strive to make it as seamless as possible. We will do all the heavy lifting, while you can focus on starting a new chapter of your life.
To speak to a representative and schedule a consultation today, call us at (347) 848-1850.