As a father, you may worry how your relationship with your child will be affected following a divorce or breakup with the mother of your child. This is a common concern for many, though it is one you need not have in today’s day and age. Fathers’ rights are now more protected than ever, and a trusted New York City divorce attorney will advocate for what you deserve.
Here are 5 things you may not know about fathers’ rights:
- The courts are not biased against fathers anymore. While in the past mothers were glorified over fathers, the courts are stern about ensuring a father has an equal presence in his child’s life.
- If you and your child’s mother were not married, you will need to establish parentage, even if there is no question the child is yours. You can do so by submitting to a DNA test.
- You are not solely expected to financially support your child.
- You have the right to seek legal custody, allowing you to make decisions regarding your child’s religion, healthcare, education, and more.
- The courts prioritize the wellbeing of your child, which includes your involvement in his or her life. You will not be barred from physical custody just because you are a father.
Contact Our New York City Divorce Lawyers Today
Are you headed for divorce and in need of a New York City divorce lawyer? For your best chance at a positive resolution, look no further than Eiges & Orgel, PLLC, where we are led by a reliable, experienced, and skilled legal team. Allow us to guide you through this difficult journey with ease. We will ensure you are taken care of through and through--don't face divorce alone.
Contact us by calling (347) 848-1850.