What If My Ex Doesn’t Pay Child Support?

What If My Ex Doesn’t Pay Child Support?

f you are a parent who is going through a divorce, then you know that child support is one of the most important aspects of the settlement. It is crucial that children have a stable life after their parents have split up, and child support helps to make that possible. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for an ex to miss or ignore their child support payments. What happens in these instances? An attorney can help explain.

Not Receiving Payments?

If you are a child support recipient who is not receiving the payments you are owed, the first step is to contact your local child support enforcement agency. The agency will then take steps to collect the past-due payments from the non-custodial parent. If the non-custodial parent does not have the ability to pay the full amount of child support that is owed, they may be able to work out a payment plan.

Actions You Can Take

If the non-custodial parent refuses to make any child support payments, there are a few different actions that can be taken. The child support enforcement agency can withhold money from the non-custodial parent’s paycheck, tax refund, or lottery winnings. The agency can also put a lien on the non-custodial parent’s property or revoke their driver’s license. In some cases, the non-custodial parent may even be sent to jail.

Contacting Attorneys When Necessary

If you are facing child support issues, it is important to seek out the help of an experienced attorney. An attorney can help you navigate the child support system and ensure that you receive the payments you are owed. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We can help you protect your rights and fight for what is rightfully yours. If you need assistance with child support, give us a call at (347) 848-1850 for a consultation.


Contact Us Today

All Consultations are Confidential
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter your availability.
    • Please enter a message.